Sunday, 1 August 2010

July

Hi all! Well, July has just drawn to a close, and with it my planned work, although I'm still going to be doing some bits and bobs, just not exactly sure what at present. Mostly I spent July helping with Vacation Bible Schools (VBS); one was at Ebenezer Methodist Church and School and run by the church, and two were at Wesley Lower School, run by teams with help from teachers and church members here at Wesley. My role for the first two seemed to be jumping around a lot teaching songs and actions; the first theme was 'Galactic Blast' and the Second was 'Camp E.D.G.E' (Experience and Discover God Everywhere). The fact that I have had a cold for most of the time probably meant that said jumping around and shouting/singing was not the wisest thing in the world, but I haven't collapsed yet so all is well. For the third VBS I got to move through various activities with a bunch of kids instead (we had over 100 all told by the last day) so got some relief, but there was still singing involved, and I spent the afternoon painting Wesley Lower School so I'm sure the paint fumes didn't help much either. I woke this morning with neither my left ear nor my right eye fully functional but things seem better now. The VBSs were generally a lot of good fun, the kids get to make some really neat crafts, learn songs, hear/experience Bible stories (I say experience because they are interactive and one made use of a water pistol), play games...and eat some snacks. Always a good thing!

On paint removal
As mentioned above I did a spot of painting when the final team was in (from Baytown, Texas). Now, having never used a roller before it was perhaps inevitable that not all the paint ended up on the wall...and despite one of the team volunteering to be 'rag lady' and run around cleaning up the mess we made, the large yellow splodge that ended up on my trousers when I trod in a tray was pretty much irretrievable...

UNTIL...

I used the magic of google to discover that a toothbrush and 70% alcohol can go a long way towards saving Alison's trousers. Not all the way, alas, but now they just look like an old pair of trousers and not the victims of an explosion in a paint factory. They even got out most of the oil based ceiling primer that somehow ended up all over my right knee...

On Americanisation
I find it ironic that as well as learning about Belizean culture I've learnt a lot about the US; a combined effect of the teams that I've spent time with and made friends with, the Jesuit Volunteers whose house I crash occasionally (and vice versa), and the general popularity of American TV, music and film. (Though the only American 'franchise' in Belize is Subway, in other ways American culture is quite pervasive). In the last fortnight I have watched The Simpsons movie (yey), and Footloose (WOWEE), and since I've been here I've watched more American shows, including the news, than ever before (though still not a huge amount.) Not to mention now knowing a little about basketball (a very little.) Anyway, there's a really nice little art gallery and coffee shop down my road which I try and avoid going into because it's the height of temptation and the lovely lady who works there is very good at trying to persuade me I need a plateful of calorific ambrosia (not the rice pudding, just the Food of the Goods, in this case containing gooey centred chocolate cake and icecream). It's Belizean so it doesn't belong in this bit, except that they have a talent evening once a month, and we went the other night, and it felt very much like an artsy studenty thing back home (aforementioned chocolatey goodness and acoustic guitars rather than soursop icecream and garifuna drumming. There was lots of Belizean poetry too. It was very good.).

On BOATS
Don't worry, not rowing boats! I went on a boat trip to the Mayan ruins at Lamanai yesterday, ruins which apparently have evidence that the Mayan civilisation arose from Mongols (I don't give full credit to any theory I hear about the Mayan, I am happy to find them fascinating and be done.) Anyway, though the ruins were impressive, I was far more excited by the (motorised) boat trip, on which we saw various birds, BIG grasshoppers and the blue morph butterfly (alas neither my camera nor I is up to far off photography of moving objects) and which took us swerving at some speed down a wide and windy tropical river. Alas we didn't see crocodiles, manatees or sea otters (unsurprisingly) but I did enjoy myself exceptionally.

Anyway, in summary have had a wonderful month, with all new friends both Belizean and American, only hope August is as fabulous! Sorry for lack of photos, I'll try and filter some to post shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment