Hi! I now have two weeks holiday and I thought you might like to hear about it so I'm gonna do brief journal type entries
Mon 16th
Headed to caye caulker on the early water taxi, taking about 40minutes. Checked into a neat little hostel and spent some time chatting to other people staying there, having some breakfast and reminding myself how nice the place is by taking a stroll. Not fancying snorkelling again I was wondering about trying out a watersport- windsurfing, kitesurfing, kayaking or sailing- and had lessons for sailing recommended, so popped to talk to the guy recommended. after rain delays and too-little-wind delays, we got rigged up in a little 'splash' for my lessons. Two and a half hours eventful hours later (including five capsisions, several near heart attacks (for my instructor) and near concussions (for me), a lost and recovered hat, one near miss with a wharf, a scraped arm, and me accidentally going off south and away from civilisation-and my floating instructor- at great speed after one of the capsisions before I managed to turn around again) I decided
1) I need to go to the gym so that when I capsise boats I can easily right them again
2) To revere Ben Ainslie far more than I have done previously, which was already quite a lot
3) that I was wise to try the sport out first in the Caribbean, not in chilly England.
After that rather tiring session (I was assured I wasn't too atrocious for a first time sailer and told to come back tomorrow so I could practice more) I resorted to more relaxed activities of sunset watching, walking, eating, drinking, chatting, dancing, stargazing, and shooting star 'ooo'ing until 3am.
Tues 17th
After going to bed with the prayer and the fervent resolution 'i will get up for sunrise', but no alarm clock set, woke at 4:52, and got outside to see darkness except one thin slither of lit up cloud. For the next hour I watched: the sky lighten and pinken and reveal a magnificent cloudscape, with towering, menacing cumulonimbus set beside light, peaceful cirrus set in the palest blue, all above darkened strings of cumulus on the horizon. Then came the golden tinging of clouds as the sun itself graced the morning with its presence, in a hurry strangely at odds with the laid back atmosphere of the cayes. Rays of light in what I like to call an 'Ascension Sunshine' beamed down once the sun had risen, and I wandered back to my bed, the myriad of reflected colours now gone from the waves and replaced with welldefined patches of azure, deep blue and sky blue.
Back in bed by six, I couldn't however sleep, so the day then passed in reading, conversing, lying on a mattress outside in blissful laziness, eating, and a swim across the split (which didn't try to kill me with evil currents this time.) I was too sleepy either to sail again or to go on a bird-watching crocodile-seeking kayak north.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment