June in brief...
What June in England signifies (or at least, has done in my privileged life up to now, especially the last three summers):-
Long days and short nights. The arrival of sunshine, if you are lucky. The chance to wear a dress without freezing. The chance to take a dip in the sea, also without freezing. The thwack of willow on leather, the sight of rain at Wimbledon, the news of an England tail order collapse. Occasional football hysteria. Strawberries and cream. Pimms. Garden parties, picnics, walks. Fruit picking. The end of exams, and consequently, laziness. Boats. Tourists. Sitting outside in a beer garden, drinking lemonade (definitely not cider :P). BBQs.
My June in Belize:-
Roughly the same amount of daylight as every other day. Rain (actually not that much, though). More heat and humidity than normal. The necessity of wearing a dress, otherwise I might boil over. Obsessive checking of the hurricane outlook (OK, maybe I'm more obsessive than most because I'm trying to be a budding meteorologist...). Watching my first ever basketball match (well I only watched the last quarter-and-a-half; technically three eighths, yes) on TV, so I now vaguely understand references to Cody Bryant. Mangoes, delicious, and yet so plentiful its hard to stop them rotting in the fruit bowl without making yourself sick. The departure of many people on holiday. The arrival of many more Americans etc than normal, mostly here on volunteering or mission trips. A church anniversary and associated activities. The end of term and the beginning of a month of busy-ness with vacation activities (summer camp and vacation bible schools.) Graduations to come out of your ears, for all primary and secondary schools (I've just been to two, I think...important people in churches/schools go to many more). Roughly the same amount of BBQs as normal.
Please pray for the Methodist Camp; we go next Monday and return the following Monday. Not actually under canvas- we sleep (on the floor, yes) in Methodist schools. I'm going to the one for juniors, age 7-13; I anticipate being exhausted. Lots still to do, which is a bit scary, and lots of resources still to chase. Pray that all will be organised and go smoothly and that children will have an AWESOME time and grow closer to God. Seniors (13+) are looking at different types of 'love' and how love is absent in society, so again, prayers they will really learn stuff and that we'll be able to have some positive and lasting influence in contrast to negative influences (same here as everywhere, but in many cases accentuated!!!)
Love to all in England (and anywhere else you may be).
PS- non-Belizean news- I'm going to be in Reading from the beginning of October, i.e. about three weeks after I return, studying Meteorology. hence comments above.
Wednesday, 23 June 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment