Sunday, 7 March 2010

An interview with...

Me.

Follows: A typical start to a conversation, paraphrased, so both participants sound really posh, but accurate in sense; to those who've never programmed in C, /* */ signifies a comment outside the script as it were. Geeky, but stuck in my system. So:-

new-person-i've-just-met: Hello! How are you finding Belize?
Me; Good, it's good! /*imaginative I know*/
new-person-I've-just-met; You're enjoying the heat?
Me; Yeah, it's gorgeous! It's like the middle of my summer at home; everyone would jump in a pool on a day like today. But I know I'll probably be hot soon.
npIjm /*abbr*/; Yeah, you'll be sweating! It is cold now.
(both laugh)
npIjm; and you've tried the food?
Me; Yip! rice and beans and fried chicken! It's good, and really filling. I need to learn to cook some of it. I'm enjoying drinking lots of fresh squeezed orange juice too! /*ridiculous quantities, in fact. MMMMMMM*/
npIjm; And how's the Kriol? /*kriol is the belizian spelling for the creole that they use*/
Me; (worried face) I think lots of people are making the effort to talk in English when I'm around, but either if they talk too quickly, or several people talk at once, or they slip into kriol, I'm lost.
npIjm; Ah well, you'll be talking along with us by the time you leave.
Me; I hope so! /*though this is v optimistic- you can't really sit down and learn it*/

etc.

Conversation at this pointmight get a little less predictable- or I might be introduced to someone else! there's generally also mention of where I come from, and of the rather angry insect bites that have appeared on both my inner ankles; whether due to a flaw in my DEET application or whether due to particularly tasty flesh there, I cannot say. Either way, I'm 'fresh meat' for the insects.

Another post to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment